Friday, November 21, 2008

Is it OK to be liberal again, instead of progressive?


I'm so glad Michael Lind wrote this. I feel exactly the same way. Everyone was walking around hating on me for being a "bleeding heart liberal". My response to their ignorance and stupidity was typically a shrug of the shoulders, *sigh*, and then I would respond with something like, "I don't understand what is wrong with caring about people!"
Lately (since Nov.4th) several of my middle of the road friends have started proclaiming their new found liberalness. I just sit back and smile. I love it.

"Come out of the closet, liberals. Stop using the fashionable euphemism "progressive" and relaunch the old, tarnished L-word."
By Michael Lind @ Salon.com - Nov. 21, 2008
If the conservative era is over, can liberals come out of their defensive crouch and call themselves liberals again, instead of progressives?
In the last two decades, Democratic politicians, including Barack Obama, have abandoned the term "liberal" for "progressive." The theory was that Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush -- and Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Pat Buchanan -- had succeeded in equating "liberal" in the public mind with weakness on defense, softness on crime, and "redistribution" of Joe the Plumber's hard-earned money to the collective bogey evoked by a former Texas rock band's clever name: Teenage Immigrant Welfare Mothers on Dope.

read more digg story

No comments: