Friday, February 29, 2008

I watched The Ellen DeGeneres show today...

I watched The Ellen DeGeneres Show today and she did something she doesn't usually do. She spoke of the murder of a young teenage boy named Larry King by another boy named Brandon McInerney. All because Larry had sent Brandon a Valentine.

Watch the video below and then read the rest of what I have to say below....


Choking back tears, she added, "Larry is not a second-class citizen. I am not a second-class citizen. It is okay if you are gay."

***Thank you, Ellen! You brought me to tears as you spoke about Larry King and the hate for gays that still pervades our society. I live in Massachusetts where gay marriage is legal. I am gay and married to my fabulous wife Kathy, since October 16th, 2006. We have a 15 y/o son that attends one of the local high schools in our hometown and is taunted by children because he happily tells people he has 2 Moms. He has lost friends due to their parents finding out we are gay and married. This school year it even became a "political issue" because one of my son's friends mother told the vice principal that we were gay and then made up a story that my son elbowed her son! We tried to work things out with the parents but when we called the kids mom yelled and screamed that she was going to file charges against my son! The school tried to intervene but encountered the same kind of irrational behavior from the mother that we did. The worst thing about all this is my kid and her kid were friends...they hung out together at school...his teachers told my wife and I what good friends the 2 were. That was until the mother actually took her son out of school and started home schooling him! The worst part about this whole thing is that 2 good friends can no longer continue their friendship because of a parents hate for something she doesn't understand.

Peace,

soul

Ellen DeGeneres: The Hate Must Stop - TV News, Ellen DeGeneres : People.com

No comments: